7 Jun 2012

Birding in the Lower Himalayas.....

The next day started before the break of dawn . A few hot cups of tea and I was all geared up for birding in the delightful 'Lake City'...



Spotted the Brown fish owl hiding in the leaves of moss laden branch.......




 She gently flew past and a flash of colors caught my eye.....before even I could click.... heard the  ''tuk-tuk" clear and loud in silence of the forest...

There was a complete family of crested king fisher .  The pond  was like a restaurant for the kingfishers....having their morning meal.

The brown dipper-plump and chocolaty. I watched as they performed with their feet ...dippers are noted for bobbling and dipping movements.

Later in the afternoon we decided to head for Pangot.It is a small village and the drive is through dense forests which happens to be the main habitat for excellent birding in the Himalayas.The next morning kick started scanning the mountain slopes for the Koklass and Cheer pheasants.I was lucky enough to get a few precious shots of the Khalij and the Koklass pheasants but couldn't get a glimpse of the Cheer.


Khaleej pheasant....


koklass pheasant.....

                           Bird song chorus of black throated tits.....

Griffon vulture.....

Yellow breasted green finch....

On the bridge I stooped by to admire the rusty tailed Plumbeous redstart (tail fanned and  flicked  nervously)



Himalayan woodpecker.....
Rufous bellied woodpecker.....


)

I was tired but not tired enough having driven for seven hours ..I had feasted my eyes on beautiful landscapes and even more beautiful birds, met my birding pal from Mumbai , eaten some dynamite food  drank some obscene cups of tea...I was six  days poorer but 45 species richer...this was my trip to Sattal and Pangot...
Happy Birding...!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely entries and bird pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much .... It was nice hearing from you .

      Delete